As the professional body for stockbrokers and other financial markets professionals, the SAIS offers its designation holders a number of benefits. The foremost of these is access to Continuous Professional Development (CPD) and Thought Leadership.
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
The SAIS CPD, in conjunction with the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI), offers a wide range of CPD topics to its members. Most CPD activities are delivered online and can be done at the member’s own pace. In addition, the CPD activities completed through the SAIS CPD portal are automatically uploaded to the member’s record, making it easy to see CPD hours attained.
For most individuals working in the Financial Markets, CPD is a Financial Sector Conduct Authority (FSCA) requirement. The report detailing the CPD attained and recorded for the SAIS may also be used for the FSCA CPD should it meet the FSCA requirements.
As a Thought Leader and influencer in the Financial Markets space, based on its expertise and perspectives and those of the industry, the SAIS is able to provide a unique perspective and guidance on matters of importance to the profession. This is effected by working closely with our Industry Fora and participating in the various committees of which we are a member, such as the FSCA Competency Forum. The SAIS regularly provides comments on draft legislation and interacts with Industry, Exchanges, Regulators and Legislators. These comments are available to our members.
The SAIS offers seven (7) designations. The designations relate to different roles within the financial markets. The designations are:
|Certified Stockbroker (SA)||CSb(SA)|
|Certified Financial Markets Practitioner (SA)||CFMP(SA)|
|*Certified Financial Markets Professional (SA) General TM||CFMP-G(SA)|
|*Certified Financial Markets Professional (SA) TradingTM||CFMP-T(SA)|
|*Certified Financial Markets Professional (SA) Settlement and AdministrationTM||CFMP-S&A(SA)|
|*Certified Financial Markets Professional (SA) ComplianceTM||CFMP-C(SA)|
|*Certified Financial Markets Professional (SA) Portfolio and Investment ManagementTM||CFMP-PIM(SA)|
* Availalble September 2021
Each designation will be differentiated by either Affiliate or Associate after the designation.
Affiliate is used for individuals that complete the theoretical part of the qualification but that do not get the relevant, prescribed practical work experience requirements. Associate is used for individuals that have completed both the theoretical and the relevant, prescribed practical work experience requirements.
Both Affiliate and Associate members receive the full range of SAIS benefits and are held to the same requirements:
- Adherence to the SAIS Code of Conduct
- Participating in and reporting CPD activities
- Payment of annual membership fees.
Members who comply with the above requirements are considered Members in Good Standing and noted as “Active” members. The SAIS has several other statuses that apply to the membership structure. These are defined below:
- Student Membership: a member who is registered with the SAIS to write examinations that will lead to a designation.
- Active Membership: a member who is in Good Standing i.e. Annual membership fees are fully paid-up, the member is compliant with the CPD requirements and the Code of Conduct.
- Resigned Membership: a member who has officially notified the SAIS that they no longer wish to be a member. Once a member has resigned, they are no longer required to meet the abovementioned requirements and may no longer use the designation. A resigned member may re-apply for membership without incurring a fee penalty. Should a resigned member wish to re-apply for membership, the requirements of the Institute at the time of re-application will apply.
- Lapsed Membership: a member who has outstanding membership fees. A lapsed member may not use the designation previously allocated. A lapsed member may re-apply for membership and will incur a fee penalty, as well as any other requirements of the Institute at the time of re-application will apply. he fee penalty is typically the membership fee of the year in which membership lapsed as well as the fee for the year in which membership is re-instated. If a member re-joins in the same year as which they were lapsed, a late payment fee will be levied in addition to the full membership fee.
- Suspended Membership: a member who is under investigation or non-compliant with CPD requirements.
- Terminated Membership: a member who has undergone a disciplinary procedure by the SAIS and the decision of the disciplinary committee was termination of membership.
- Retired Membership: a member who is no longer active in the financial markets (other than for personal benefit) but still wishes to retain their designation. This means that the retired member is not providing any advice or transacting for external parties. They are not required to complete the CPD requirement, however they will still have access to the CPD portal and content. Retired members are permitted to use the allocated designation. Retired members are required to adhere to the Code of Conduct and pay a reduced annual membership fee.
- Honorary Membership: is granted to a member for their significant contributions to the Institute and profession. This status is only conferred by the SAIS Council and not through the application process. This membership status may be granted to:
- - past Presidents of the Institute;
- - past chairmen of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE); and
- - any member of the SAIS or the JSE, who has been a member for more that 50 years.
Should an individual not a be a member of the SAIS for more than three years, a new membership application will need to be submitted, and the requirements of the Institute at the time of this application will apply.
To view the documents related to SAIS membership, please visit the Document Library.Go to page
For further details on how to obtain these designations, please visit the Education section of this site.Go to page
To view applicable membership fees, please visit the Fees section of this site.Go to page